Friday, December 12, 2014

Friday Focus - Maja Design Papers

It's Cec here and it is my turn to host the Friday Focus segment and today it is all about Maja Design papers.

During the next two weeks there will be an additional 15% discount on all Maja Design paper packs at The Funkie Junkie Boutique.


Christmas cards are always a must have item this time of year so I decided to make another one to give to a very old friend - that is, old as in since we were babies.


I created the background from a piece of white card stock.  First I took a brayer and laid on a layer of Light Blue Folk Art acrylic paint.


The next step was to add some texture paste through a stencil called Snow Flakes.



Then I inked it with Weathered Wood, Stormy Sky and Faded Jeans Distress Ink but I couldn't get a blend that matched the papers for the stocking that I was happy with so I took a natural sea sponge and dabbed some Gesso on it - now I was happy.


Once dry I rubbed some silver wax paste onto the snowflakes.  The paste was some I have had for years and while it was still somewhat soft, it was more difficult to work with than some I have from a different manufacturer so I probably should have gone over them a second time to get the silver to pop.  Note to self - splurge on some new silver wax paste or maybe put it on my list for Santa.

I distressed the edges with my scissors and added a few bits of texture paste to look a bit like snow.  Once it was glued to the card blank I added some tiny clear gems along the edge in a couple of spots.


The next step was to cut a stocking shape on my Cameo.


Then it was time to dig out the Maja Design paper pack and this time I used the Vintage Frost Basics.


I glued one of the papers to the toe and heel pieces used a stencil called Mini Ledger with some Wendy Vecchi Crackled Paste to add some highlights.


I also laid some Crackled Paste onto the cuff and while it was still wet I sprinkled some crystal glitter on it.


Once everything was dry, I added more papers to the stocking. I just took one photo of the papers being added although I used two different ones for the first layer. I also noticed that the paper in the photo is upside down but thankfully it is hidden by the toe so you can't see my little oops. I used a brass stencil from Fiber Art to pierce a pattern on a narrow strip of paper and stitched it using embroidery floss.

Then attached the cuff, heel and toe.  I added some gems, venise lace and a sentiment that was part of the pack.  I also added a tag and date that were in the pack but backed them with another tag hand cut from some of the paper.  I didn't have a white brad that was small enough so I just painted one.


Next I created my poinsettia, which was die cut from some gauzy materials I picked up at a wholesale place in Virginia.  You could use the crinoline Linda sells in The Funkie Junkie Boutique but I wanted a really lacy look so I went with this fabric.  I coated each layer with Glue and Seal.


The leaves and flourish are die cuts from my friend Pamellia and they were coated with Perfect Pearl Perfect Pearls (say that five times fast - lol) as were the poinsettia layers.  I use Gum Arabic as a medium with the powder.  I added some stamens to the flower when I combined all the layers.  I also tucked some silver berries under the poinsettia when I added it to the card.

Finally I made a bow from some silver metallic mesh ribbon and added a little snowflake to the centre.  I also added a few more gems for a little added bling.

Here is a revisit of some other projects I have made with my Maja Design papers:


The following products used to create this card came from The Funkie Junkie Boutique:

7 comments:

  1. This is SUCH a beautiful card Cec! I love how you've created that super stocking and the background is delightful. You always use these papers so well. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy wowsers, what a gorgeous card Cec! You did a fabulous job matching everything together, the blues are completely dreamy! Love your snowflake textured background and the stocking is fabulous with all the glitter and patterns! What a great wintery card, your friend will LOVE it! holiday hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card Cec ! I LOVE your backround, what a fabulous backdrop for the gorgeous stocking ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow Cec, you're shabby chic card is beautiful! I love all the texture and colors. So pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous card Cec! Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'v shown off the Maja papers to perfection, Cec!! They're my faves to work with and now you've given me even more inspiration.
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! What a neat way to use papers. I have been wanting to do a stocking! Thanks for sharing your creation!

    ReplyDelete