Saturday, February 16, 2013

Step X Step: Journal pages

Welcome to today's Step X Step, it's Sue here and the project I'm sharing with you is a journal page. There's lots to share so grab a cuppa and get comfy !



 I found a large book that was destined for the recycling bin and decided it was the perfect size for me to alter ! I started  by gluing several pages together so that both sides were quite substantial to work on. Then I gave the pages a coat of Gesso which I applied with a piece of Cut 'n' Dry foam.


 I started off by thinking I would like some of the original images and text to show through the paint. I gave the pages a coat of Sky Fresco Finish paint using a baby wipe to take some of the paint away.


 I then cut the letters from mount board using the Tim Holtz WordPlay die and stuck them down using Matt Multi Medium. I then painted them with some more Sky Fresco Finish paint.


 I then gave everything a coat of Baltic Blue Fresco Finish paint and brushed some around the letters to highlight them.


I followed this up with a light coat of Smoked Paprika Fresco Finish.I decided it was a little too dark so I knocked if back with some watered down Snowflake Fresco Finish.


I used a stencil for the poppies with more Fresco Finish paint.


I used the Dylusions Diamond Border stencil for the border and also the diamonds, which I did the 'bumping' technique to create shadow. I also lightly sprayed Dylusions Squeezed Orange ink spray over the pages as well as some diluted Fresco Finish paint.


I then stamped the text from the Wendy Vecchi set called Art From The Heart without using an acrylic block so the text wasn't perfect.


The tulip is also from the same Wendy Vecchi set and I've painted it with Fresco Finish paint. I've also used the Chicken Wire stencil and Smoked Paprika.


I stamped the dragonflies and then gave them a watered down coat of Fresco Finish paint. I 've used the honeycomb stamp from the Tim Holtz Mixed Media set and stamped it using Snowflake Fresco Finish paint.


I decided that the letters didn't 'pop' enough so I used some more paint to dry brush around them. I've also rubbed some Classic Treasure Gold around the letters and also around the edges of the pages.


For the little circles I used the lid from a Distress Stains bottle and dipped it into some paint and pressed it onto the page.


To finish I've added one of the gorgeous Filigree keys from Linda's Funkie Junkie Boutique and also another Filigree piece to the tulip along with a Melissa Frances lock.

I hope you've enjoyed todays StepXStep and I hope you have a great week end !

19 comments:

  1. Some beautiful work here Sue. Lots of texture and depth to this project. Love it. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just been singing the praises of these pages over at Sue's own page - just glorious! And a wonderful step by step watching them grow... thank you.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Sue these pages are just fabulous thanks for a great stepxstep there is so much to look and I love the way the words have blended yet popped out of the background. Going back for another look lol!

    MaggieH

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is a great project! I am seeing lots of mulit media and journal pages, which makes me want to try. Thanks for the step by step, ppl like me need that, lol. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOwwwwwzerssss Sue, what a great project your journal pages are looking fabulous, love the colors and the materials you have used, thankss for a great tutorial Sue, hugs and have a fabby weekend. Terry xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sue, this is so beautiful! I love the step-by-step to see how you brought it all together, really love all the stencilling and Wendy's stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, these pages are soooo beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue - absolutely beautiful, as usual!!

    I totally appreciate the step-by-step instructions which are not being shown as much on other sites - thanks so much!!!

    Cheers!!

    Lorraine - Ontario, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been looking all over for a chicken wire stencil....can you let me know where I can get one please? Thanks kindly Marily

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great tute, Sue! Love those rich colors and how you spread your title across the pages.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this page and I really enjoyed the tutorial. Thank you and beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just beautiful!
    Pam
    scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all the luscious layers in this spread. Thanks so much for sharing your process with us. It's very helpful for those of us who are just dipping our toes in the mixed media ocean!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty in a non cute way - love this x

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO SO SO wonderful...and what a great tutorial!!! Love the sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful pages, Sue! Has me dreaming of Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh sue - this is gorgeous and you have given me some grand ideas!! No why can't I think of this!!
    sandy

    ReplyDelete