Saturday, January 26, 2013

Saturday StepXStep - Ranger Foil Flowers

Well it is my turn (Trace ) to share a stepxstep today and I want to show you how to make some dimensional metal flowers that can be grunged up or made to look delicate.These are made using ranger foil, embossing folders and either paint or alcohol inks ..so here goes:

Here are the finished flowers, on some projects to show you how they can be made to look quite different.
and then a more grungy look 
I started by die cutting the flowers using ranger foil sheets that I had  stuck on to some manila cardstock.  To make the dimensional flowers I used two larger and one smaller flowers, cut from the tattered floral die.  I have cut enough here to make two dimensional flowers.
                                                       
Then I embossed the flowers using different embossing folders, one set here using the gorgeous flourish and one set these fab and more grungy rivets. These flowers will of course work for any embossing folders you choose.

Once cut and embossed the fun comes with selecting how to colour them up For the delicate flourish I chose to use paint dabbers and for the more grungy flowers I used  alcohol inks. Both of these work wonderfully to colour the foil and slightly different looks and finishes.

This shows the flower coloured with paint dabber, then rub it on with your finger and I then lightly sanded the one on the right, depends which look you prefer. Sanding will remove some of the colour. I also colour the underneath as this may be seen when they are shaped.

For layer one and three, so for one large and one small flower I shaped the petals to create dimension. For the second layer, I made small cuts in between the petals to allow the petals to curl more.
Then stack the flowers and apply a small amount of glue between each layer. To complete I added an idea-ology washer and either brad or pearl for the centre, but you could use large pearls, buttons and anything else you fancy!
Well all the products I have used are listed below, hope you will have some fun making these flowers in any colour and style!

And just before I go here is a completed project using one of them.

have a fun and inky day!
trace  x






21 comments:

  1. So wonderful and inspirational, Trace, thank you for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo cool, love your flowers Tracy, fantastic! They look like they have been patina-ed (not a word I guess, but you probably know what I mean). Can't say which one I like best, they all look fab and I adore the finished project!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh these are stunning Trace, and would add a fantastic flourish to any project. Like Astrid I don't have a favourite as they are both superb for different styles. How good is your finished project too! Now there's a wall hanging to be treasured. Hugs, Jenny xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your flowers look absolutely stunning Trace and the tutorial is so very helpful and clear. Thanks for sharing how to make them and your project is just gorgeous.
    Hugs, Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are lovely,what a great end result.Thnks for sharing. Great tutorial.Jacqueline.S

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Trace, you already know how much I love your work but this is amazing, great tutorial and it is good to compare the different methods of colouring the flowers. And what a fabulous result in your hanging. Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just can't get enough of hand made flowers and also metal work. The combination of the two is utterly divine. Love these flowers to death. Super StepXStep, Trace. Thanks so much for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh these are great Trace, thanks for the tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very very beautiful Trace and thanks for the tutorial.
    Greetings Janny

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those foil flowers, Trace! The entire piece is gorgeous and I love the placement of the flower! Great SxS and thanks for sharing! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fab tutorial Trace. Love these metal flowers :-) Will certainly have a go x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant step by step Trace, thank you - your metallic flowers look fabulous! I've spent the evening fiddling with paper versions - don't know how the flower makers have the patience!! Though maybe it gets easier with practice?
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both are beautiful, Trace! I haven't used embossing folders on my metal flowers yet. I'll give this step a go on my next bunch. Thanks for the tut.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tutorial trace and I love what you have done with the flowers 2 different and stunning looks x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant flowers Trace, I'll have to try out this technique. It has a wonderful effect. Wonderful start to your Funkie journey. Michelle x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea Trace! I love both versions of the flowers! Can't wait to try this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your metal flowers... I was just thinking about doing some again using my aluminum cans, but I like this idea for a change of pace! thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a great, beautiful idea! thanks for the step by step. Your flowers are spectacular

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi...I was wondering who won the "make a tag" challenge that ended 12/26? Did I miss the post?

    ReplyDelete
  20. AWESOME florals! Love the circular base as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Tracy!!! These are wonderful! Imcant wait to try this technique out! Thank You!

    ReplyDelete