Saturday, May 19, 2012

Saturday StepXStep - Folder Embossed Backgrounds

I sure hope you are all doing well and ready for the weekend!  Many times, I have blogger friends ask me about my backgrounds and so I thought I would share a couple.  First I would like to let you know that I experiment frequently and some of you may know, but others may not, Alcohol Inks will work on somewhat porous surfaces.  Now first they have to be primed, like the plastic bottle I altered and used Kilz Primer or as with this white card stock a Black Paint Dabber was used to prime the surface. 
Cover the white card stock with the Black Dabber and then use a sponge to blot and smooth the coverage, next use the heat tool to dry.  Once dry cover with the alcohol inks and mixative (Bottle, Stream, Meadow and Gold Mixative).  I always like to heat set after each application. 
Next I used the Retro Circles Texture Fade, embossed, covered the raised areas with Walnut Stain, Frayed Burlap and Brushed Corduroy Distress Inks, heat set and die cut.  The finished panel was added to chipboard using two way adhesive, prior to die cutting.  I like to use several colors for this to give extra layers of color, so let each color show through. 
For the Honeycomb background (I love that folder), using a piece of two way adhesive, I adhered the Tissue Wrap.  If you look close, it is all about traveling and yes, I purposely chose that section!  This was then inked with the new and fabulous Distress Ink colors, heat set and then embossed and again shaded with the Archival Sepia!  The ends were distressed and inked with Walnut Stain. 
The little Chit Chat Stickers were shaded and backed with card stock.  My metal kind of surf board is inked with Black, wiped off the top as we only want the sentiment black and then colored with alcohol inks (Latte Ginger, Meadow and Blending Solution).  Tied a little thread and layered it up. 

Thank you so much for stopping by and I hoped you enjoyed this Saturday's Step X Step!
 

13 comments:

  1. ...super informative post, many thanks...Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terry this is a fab piece and right up my street. Thank you so much for sharing techniques and for inspiration provided. Crafty hugs Annie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this Terry. I didn't know I could use alcohol inks on primed porous surfaces - will now be giving this a go. Hugs, Buttons x
    (p.s. bet Hubby will love this)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tute, very clear! And lots to browse on this site which is new to me (but I would follow you anywhere!),

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah a great tutorial Terry, love the backgrounds and techniques. TFS. xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic tutorial! Thanks especially for the reminder that any surface can be made non-porous and then coated in alcohol ink!

    Neat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AWESOME tutorial, Terry! I just bought some products so I can use this wonderful technique! Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant tutorial, thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow what texture! thanks for the share! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous tutorial Terry, I'm definitely going to have to get the honeycome EF. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all of the wonderful texture on your piece. Thanks for the great tutorial. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was very interesting following through your tutorial Terry, and seeing how adding inks and acrylics can change the look of a piece, I am so grateful that we have generous souls like yourself, that are happy to share their knowledge, that is why this Blog is so unique, it not only inspires it also teaches; and for free as well. I look forward to each post as the Dt's are all talented but so different. Linda has a hit on her hands here.
    Smiles:)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete